Darryl Laws
I had to determine the method of investigation. I settled for a mixed mode, web-based survey coupled with a telephonic follow up method to encourage a greater response level (Dillman, 2014). Incentives may be considered to increase response level (Goritz, 200).
I had previously constructed a concept map so that in refining my research questions and identifying my independent, dependent, moderating and mediating variables so that I could develop questions that would extract the desired data that I am seeking.
The next challenge was that I had to think about crafting the questions for each of my web-based survey and my personal interviews to make sure that I was extracting the information sought (opinions, behavior, attitudes).
This was followed with thoughts of how to best organize the format of my survey instrument as such that questions were cluster in groups of similar lines of thought.
Then I had to begin thinking about the survey software that I would use to record and store my data that I would be collecting. Considerations entailed; design flexibility, and difficulty, data control, data access and cost.
I re-read Chapter 9 in Dillman, Smuth and Christian’s book, Internet, Phone, Mail and Mixed -Mode Surveys,(2014) to scrutinize more closely their suggestions.
Next I had to make a judgement call on telephone call management system in case respondents choose to react to my questionnaire via mobile phone, tablet or other devices in which the screen sizes and multimedia abilities differ.
Pursuant to Dillman’s advise I elected to not incorporate any videos and or graphics that would impair the respondent’s focus while taking my survey.
Then I had to decide about controlling the flow of the questionnaire. This entails everything from page breaks, filtering and looping to asking the same question.
Overall look and feel of the design and layout of the web page (color background, navigation, were the next judgement calls to be made.
Then I had to make a decision about the welcome page that must be designed to serve a number of purposes:1) orientation of the attributes if the survey, 2)insure them confidentiality by providing them a User ID and advising them that their data will be stored on servers at my office that are in a locked room for which I have the key, 3) estimated time line to complete, 4) instructions on how to proceed.
I decided to take into consideration Dillman’s suggestion that the screen format will emphasis the respondent and not the sponsor.
I noted that a consistent page layout as well as headers and footers should be used to emphasize essential information and to reduce frustration with navigation.
Next, I realized that navigation buttons should be placed in the middle of the screen and next button to the bottom left of the screen as suggested by Couper, Baker, (2011).
I decided that item specific error messages will be employed to help respondents trouble shoot their navigation issues.
Further, I decided that I will not include a graphic display progress indicator due to the short length of my survey.
Finally, internet interface with the survey instrument will be personalized for my fifteen elite purposeful sampling participants that comprise my sample.
Comments
Post a Comment